Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Self Control and Diligence

Ok, so I decided yesterday to start a cleanse. The master cleanse to be specific. This is a 10 day cleanse which rids your body of toxins. You drink a special concoction they call lemonade about a gazillion times a day and start your morning with a yummy 32 oz glass of sea salt water. After 10 days your colon is cleansed and so is your body.

So that sounds pretty good huh? Well, it's pretty intense not for the fainthearted or weak-stomached, which I always considered myself to be (like my new words?). Last night I experienced some intense discomfort and was really questioning whether or not to continue. I was quite dizzy, spinning to be precise and feeling very ill, chills and all. However I knew that the beginning would be very rough. My biggest fear was the salt water. Having such a sensitive system and already feeling quite sick to my stomach, I didn't think that I could do it. But after some help from my girlfriend I drank the nasty concoction while listening to her talk on the phone about much more entertaining things, her scraproom, which makes me very happy!

Then the fun began!!!!! I excercised like never before. Running back and forth to the bathroom in record time, let me tell you, it was a sight considering I was trying to fry eggs for my daughter. Needless to say it took 45 mins for those eggs to get fully cooked. So for the next 2 hours the toxins were being purged and I immediately started feeling better. Now I am drinking my lemonades! 1 down 6 more to go!

Ok, so where is God in all of this???? As I searched my heart for the reasons why I was doing this cleanse, God brought many things to my mind. At first I thought it would be a good way to lose a few pounds of unwanted fat. Then I thought it would be a great way to get a fresh start with my eating habits, ya know, getting rid of the cravings for unhealthy foods. I have heard a lot about these cleanses and how it helps with many ailments and I thought it would be good for clearing up my face, helping with allergies & asthma and some other areas of concern. I figured it would be better than a colonic and less embarrassing so why not.

Well, the bible study I am doing has been a big motivating factor in this cleanse. Sounds weird I know but let me explain. There are many things in life that we choose to do that are not always best for us. Eating and taking care of your health is one of those areas that we can make poor choices. I found myself complaining about certain areas of my life that after much prayer and meditation, I realized I was in control of. I just wasn't taking control because of a lack of self control and diligence. There are certain foods that I know make me sick and habits that I know are simply a result of indulgence. Do I have the right to complain???? No, definitely not. When that little voice tells me, Mel you shouldn't do that, that's the same as when the Lord is convicting me of something that I shouldn't do. He desires us to be self controlled in all situations. To seek Him in all things. For me, I knew the Lord was telling me, be self controlled, take care of what I have given you within the limitations that you have been given. Yes, I have limitations, so what! So I can't eat everything that someone else may be able to eat, I have allergies etc, but there is still a lot that I can eat if I am diligent to seek out those things. So it may require a little extra care but that is what God gave me and this is how he made me. Don't you think He want's to use it for His glory? Yes, He does. He gives all of us a thorn in the flesh. What is yours?

What is your thorn in the flesh????? How will you go about being self controlled and diligent in managing what God gave you and then using it for His glory????

I must tell you, I never thought that I could get past last night, but I prayed "God help me to get through this, to stay focussed and committed, to be diligent and self controlled. He sent me a friend to give me strength, he gave me a clear mind to meditate on His word and a great sense of peace. I am not sure what will happen in the next 9 days but I will continue to seek the Lord's guidance and with Him by my side I anticipate the joy of finishing this cleanse, experiencing the benefits and knowing that it will only be possible with God by my side.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Mel - You are so strong! I love to read your blog, and your will power is giving strength to stay away from all the sweets I am craving. I loved your faithbooking class!!Thank you for all the time you spend to teach us more about the WORD, and your ideas are truly God-inspired. Love, your sister in Crist
Leigh Ann

mel4christ said...

Praise the Lord!It is definitely Him working and none of me. He is such an amazing God who loves us sooooooooo much. I am so blessed to know Him and to have you as my friend. I loved our faithbooking time. Can't wait to see everyone's faithbook and what the Lord has done or is doing in everyone's life. Mel