Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bible Study Guide

Good morning friends!! I wanted to share a few things that the Lord had laid on my heart. For those of you who are prayer warriors I would like to ask you to please pray for my step son Dusty . He has been struggling with his walk and has been going through a rough time in his life. He is turning 21 this month and is desiring to know God, His will for his life and to gain understanding of the Word of God. Please pray that he would be diligent in searching out the scriptures, walking in the light and resisting those things that cause him to stumble.

As he has been attempting to study the Word he asked for any tips or advice on how to get the most from his reading. I sent him a bookmark that I was given at our ladies spring event last year that contains 5 questions to ask yourself after you have read the scriptures. While commentaries and dictionaries and concordances are amazing resources that I use often, sometimes we forget to allow scripture to reveal scripture, to hear what God has to say directly to us. So I thought this might be a blessing to some of you. I know that it has helped me.

ASK YOURSELF

1. WHAT DID I LEARN ABOUT GOD?

2. WHAT DID I LEARN ABOUT LIFE?

3. WHAT DID I LEARN ABOUT MYSELF, MY ATTITUDES, PRIORITIES, FEARS, FAILURES, OR DESIRES?

4. IS THERE A LESSON I CAN APPLY TODAY?

5. WHAT CAN I TAKE FROM MY READING AND PRAY BACK TO GOD FOR UNDERSTANDING, INSTRUCTION OR HELP?

This next section will be lengthy and is an example of how to apply these questions to your daily reading. This is taken from my personal journal from today's through the word reading.

2 Cor 4-5

1. What did I learn about God?

* I learned God has shone His light through Jesus Christ that we might have knowledge of Him * Jesus in us allows us to walk through the trials and not be destroyed. For He is our life and we'll be raised up with Him one day. * God doesn't want us to be hopeless, but filled with hope of the eternal. * God gave us the guarantee of the Holy Spirit. * God reconciled Himself to us through Jesus Christ.

2. What did I learn about life?

* Even though we may be hard pressed on every side struggling with things in life, we are not crushed or forsaken, we are not destroyed because Jesus is working life in us. He overcame the grave and He will raise us up with Him. Who else in history did this? NO ONE!!! * Even though our outward man is perishing our inward man is being renewed daily. Our affliction here on earth is temporary and is nothing compared to what awaits us - the eternal weight of glory. * We will be delivered from these earthly bodies and God wants us to live with that hope. * Life is short and temporary, we're just passing by.

3. What did I learn about myself, my attitudes, priorities, fears, failures, or desires?

* I need to be walking as light in the darkness of this world. * I don't need to be afraid because I have the Holy Spirit sent by God to assure and guarantee my place in this world. I'm only a passer by, RESIDENCE-HEAVEN! * I need to remember things which are seen are temporary, things unseen are eternal. * I must walk by faith, not by sight. * I must desire to be well pleasing to God. * I must WALK IN IT!! I am a new creation in Christ and my old ways are passed away and all things have become new.

4. Is there a lesson I can apply today?

* Look at everything through eternal glasses. When I need perspective I must remember I'm here temporarily, I'm here with the spirit of God to work in and through me and I need to walk by faith!

5. What can I take from my reading and pray back to God for understanding, instruction or help?

* Lord help me to live in the light and to be filled with the hope of eternal glory. Help me to overcome the struggles of this life by the power of Your Holy Spirit, to know you are with me always, that I am never forsaken. Help me to walk by faith and not by sight. In Jesus name, Amen

God bless you all and I pray that you would receive the blessing of God's personal message to you today.

By His grace,
Melanie



6 comments:

Char said...

Thanks so much for sharing these questions to ask when reading the Bible! They are great!!!

Char said...

Could you stop by my blog and leave me a comment with your e-mail so that I can invite you to join the SBS#16 Yahoo group?

Thanks,
Char

Anonymous said...

I'll pray for Dusty...that God would speak to his heart and open his eyes to the scriptures! God is so much bigger than anything we can face on earth!
--Tammy D.

mel4christ said...

Amen sister!!! Thank you so much!

God Bless,
Melanie

Vicki said...

I'll pray for Dusty. If you go to the Word of Life, Schroon Lake, NY website, they have a yearly devotional that gives you scripture for each day and has a place where you can write down what it says and how to apply it to your life. It's a good devotional guide for those of us who need structure.

Vonney said...

Satan is so powerfull right now! I will say a little pray for your step-son!