Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Learning to say "no"


Moses' father-in-law replied, "What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone" (NIV). Ex 18:17-18

Moses was going to work every day as the sole judge over all the tribes of Israel. The number of people demanding his time was so great he worked from dawn until dusk without making a dent in the workload. His father-in-law, Jethro, saw this and immediately recognized a man who could not say "no" to requests for his time. He suggested Moses focus on only two things - representing the people before God, and handling the most difficult of the disputes. The rest of the work could be delegated to capable men he appointed. Moses listened, delegated, and found himself doing far more than he had ever done before, but in much less time. If this advice worked for Moses, will it not also work for us?

Appropriate boundaries are important for everyone in the family. As the parent, you have the responsibility to set limits for your children and for yourself.


With all of the demands on our time I thought this might be helpful for some of us. I know that it is sometimes so hard for me to say no. I myself find myself committed to many things this month and need to define those boundaries to assure that I don't fall out of balance. Where can I delegate? What can I live without? What should I politely decline! PRIORITIES PRIORITIES PRIORITIES!!!!


I pray you all find balance in your schedule this week and are blessed beyond measure. Thanks again for your friendship!!!!!!!!!


Smiles,

Melanie



parentingbydesign

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

I was destined to read your blog today! I've been feeling guilty for neglecting my SBS sisters, but your post has made me feel a little better.

Thanks so much for helping me to remember what's important in my life...you guys are one of the important things! :-)

Happy Scrapping!

Aimee said...

Hi Melanie. I find it kind of neat that there are such basic life lessons like "delegating" at our fingertips in the Bible. Thank you for reminding me of that. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Vicki Hook said...

oooo saying NO is a big one for me! I can't stand it when I'm feeling too overwhelmed from all the committments hanging over my head. (that's why I haven't jumped in on the SBS16 yahoo group - just haven't made time :( )

Have a great weekend!